- Classification of Committees
Standing Committees of the Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate are divided into two categories:
Committees on Faculty and Senate Affairs, without student members;
Committees on Educational Affairs, with student members.
- Committees on Faculty and Senate Affairs
These Committees shall be composed solely of Senate members appointed by the Committee on Committees, with the exception of the Committee on Committees and the Divisional Council as noted:
(CC. 10.89, 10.25.94, 4.25.05, 05.03.17; EC. 11.91, 3.92, 05.03.17)
- Committees on Educational Affairs
These Committees shall be composed of faculty members appointed from the Berkeley Division by the Committee on Committees, unless otherwise provided for in these By-laws, and shall include student members:
- Academic Freedom
- Academic Planning and Resource Allocation
- Admissions, Enrollment, and Preparatory Education
- Computing and Information Technology
- Courses of Instruction
- Demonstrations and Student Actions
- Diversity, Equity, and Campus Climate
- Graduate Council
- Undergraduate Council
- Undergraduate Scholarships, Honors, and Financial Aid
(CC. 11.88, 9.91, 3.92, 10.25.94, 6.26.06, 5.2.12, 10.29.14, 05.03.17, EC. 05.03.17)
- Student Participation
Student members shall be eligible to serve on all standing sub-committees of those Committees listed in By-Law 13.C.1.
- Student Selection and Appointment
During the summer, student members for each of the Committees on Educational Affairs will be selected by the ASUC student groups through their vetting process and presented to the Committee on Committees as a list of nominations to be appointed according to the Divisional process used by the Committee on Committees and Divisional Council. Names of student members shall be sent to the Committee on Committees by September 1 of the academic year in which they are to serve.
Failure of the ASUC to provide student nominees for Divisional Senate Committees, as specified above, shall not interfere with the ongoing functioning of Berkeley Divisional Committees.
- Grievance Board
- Absentee Members
Upon three unexcused consecutive absences, student members will be automatically withdrawn so that their absences will not affect quorum.6 (En. 11.3.10)
- Voting Procedure
- On all formal votes in committees attended by student members, the student opinions will be recorded separately and so reported whenever the recommendation of the committee is presented to the Division, to other Academic Senate bodies and to administrative officers advised by such committee. (CC.3.89)
- When the committee is acting for the Senate, student members do not vote.