The formal announcement on February 1, 2007, of the partnership between BP, the University of California, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the University of Illinois in biofuels research immediately drew comment from Senate members. The proposed multiyear contract for a research institute with major funding, known as the Energy Biosciences Institute (EBI), is a precedent-setting alliance between the University and a private corporation which continues to draw attention from the faculty.
The Division has compiled resources on this web page regarding the Senate's activities with respect to the EBI.
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE DIVISION
April 19, 2007, 1-3 p.m.
Booth Auditorium, Boalt Hall School of Law
A special meeting of the Berkeley Division was called by a group of faculty on the EBI.
FACULTY FORUM ON THE ENERGY BIOSCIENCES INSTITUTE
March 8, 2007, 4-6 p.m.
Sibley Auditorium, Bechtel Engineering Center
The Berkeley Division held a faculty forum to provide an opportunity for open discussion about the Institute and its implications for the campus. We invited a distinguished panel to speak about academic freedom, shared governance, and corporate responsibility, as well as the specifics of the scientific issues in the venture. A panel of speakers from different perspectives was invited to speak during the first hour. After the panel presentations, questions and comments were taken from the audience, which included representation from the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, staff, and students. Chancellor Robert J. Birgeneau and Steven Chu, Director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, were among those who spoke.
- View the program and short biographies of the speakers
- How Academic Freedom and Academic Principles are Preserved in Sponsored Research Agreements with Industry
- View the captioned webcast of the faculty forum
MESSAGES FROM THE DIVISION LEADERSHIP
William Drummond, 2006-07 chair, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate
- The Energy Biosciences Institute and shared governance, February 16, 2007
- BP Proposal Timeline and the Academic Senate, March 21, 2007
- Energy Biosciences Institute home page
- External review of the Collaborative Research Agreement between Novartis Agricultural Discovery Institute, Inc. and The Regents of the University of California, Michigan State University, July 13, 2004