809. Major Programs

(Am. 3.83, 4.11.96, 4.29.04, 04.29.21, 05.03.22)
  1. Each candidate must complete a four-year major program of one of the types described in Regulation 810.
    • The major program is designed as a planned effort to explore a subject systematically, to assure that all students pursuing the same major program acquire certain knowledge in common, and to encourage the student in independent study.
    • All major programs of whatever type must include not fewer than 30 nor more than 60 units, and must include not fewer than 24 nor more than 30 units in upper division courses. Any exceptions to these unit requirements must be approved by the Executive Committee of the College before publication and before they become effective.
    • Requirements for major programs, including prerequisites and limitations on programs, and alternative electives, must be approved by the Executive Committee of the College before publication and before they become effective.
  1. A student may declare a major program as early as the student decides, consistent with any major prerequisites, but must declare it not later than the beginning of the junior year.
    • As soon as the student has declared the major, and been accepted to pursue it, the student shall be assigned to a major adviser for that program.
  1. A change from one major program to another may be made only by permission of the Dean of the College and of the department or committee in charge of the major program to which the student petitions to transfer.
    • The Office of the Registrar will send notice that such change has been authorized to the departments or committees concerned.
    • No change of major will be permitted after the opening of the student's last term.
  1. Candidates for the A.B. degree must attain at least a C (2.00) average in all upper division or graduate level courses that are identified by the major department or program as specifically required, or approved as elective course options to fulfill a major requirement. In the case of elective course options, the calculation will include the minimum number of courses with the highest grades needed to fulfill the requirement. Averages higher than a C may be required only for Honors Programs. (see Regulation 815).
  2. Students who fail to attain an average of C (2.00) for all work taken in a department may, at the option of that department, be denied the privilege of pursuing a major program in that department. A similar option may be exercised by committees in charge of group or field majors.
  3. Each major department is expected to notify the Dean of the College of any students who, in the opinion of the department, cannot profitably continue in the major program of the department.
    • In such cases, the Executive Committee of the College may, with approval of the department concerned, permit a change to another major program or may, with approval of the President of the University, require the students to withdraw from the College. Committees in charge of group or field major will follow a similar pattern.
  1. Students who are admitted to senior standing in the University of California on the basis of credit from other institutions, or on the basis of credit from University Extension, University of California, must complete in residence at the University of California, subsequent to such admission, at least 18 units of work in upper division courses, including at least 12 units in their major program.
    • For students who meet the residence requirements as provided in SR 614, the requirements of 18 units in upper division courses is reduced to 16. (Am. 3.83)