A202. Replacement of I Grades

(Am. 3.83, 04.30.20)
  1. Procedures
    1. Graduate Students

For graduate students, the method of replacement of the grade I by a final grade will be determined by the Dean of the Graduate Division and the Graduate Council.

    1. Undergraduate Students
      1. On completion of the required work or a deferred examination or both, as specified by the instructor or an authorized delegate, grade points will be assigned if the student receives a grade of A, B, C, or D as certified by the instructor. These grades may be modified by plus (+) or minus (-) in accordance with Regulation A201.B.
      2. On repetition of the course in the event of noncompletion of the required work, grade points will be granted only with the approval of the Dean of the student's College, School, or Division. If the course is repeated without approval by the Dean, the I grade will be converted to a Grade of F and the repeated course will be treated as per Regulation A201.D.
  1. Student Deadline for Completion of Work

At the instructor's discretion, a deadline for completion of undergraduate student work can be imposed. If no such deadline is set by the instructor, the student must complete the required course work at least 30 days prior to the deadline for replacing the I grade (see table below).

  1. Instructor Deadline for Replacing I Grades
    • Except as noted below in sections C.1 and C.2, grades received by undergraduates may be replaced only during the following periods:
      Session in which the I Grade is received Deadline for replacement of the I Grade
      Fall Semester First day of instruction in following Fall Semester
      Spring Semester or Summer Session First day of instruction in following Spring Semester
    • Any I grade which has not been replaced by the deadline will be converted by the Office of the Registrar to the grade F (or NP if the course was taken Passed or Not Passed). Thenceforward, but not retroactively, the grade, if F, is counted in computing the student's grade-point average in the same manner as any other assigned F.
    • The Dean of the student's College, School, or Division will have discretionary authority to extend the grade replacement deadlines (prior to their expiration).          
    1. An undergraduate student may, within the deadlines for replacing the I grade, notify in writing the Dean of the College, School or Division in which the student is enrolled at that time, that they have not attempted completion and will not complete the work required for removal of the I grade, and request that the I grade not be replaced by an F or NP. The Dean will forward such notification to the Office of the Registrar and that Office will not replace the grade I with an F or NP. This notification procedure is limited to no more than two courses and the decision is irrevocable.       
    2. If a degree is conferred before the deadline for replacement of an I grade, the grade will not be converted to an F or NP. After degree conferral, but before the deadline for completion of work, a student may still remove the I grade, as specified in section A.2.a above, by completion of the required work.
  1. I Grade Criteria
    • Any instructor awarding an I grade must, at the same time, formally specify the:
      • reason for awarding the I grade;
      • nature of the work to be completed (term paper, hour exam, or other);
      • percentage of the grade to be based thereon;
      • grade earned up to that point; and
      • deadline for completion of student work (if any; any such deadline must be communicated to the student).
    • The instructor must specify the above in the form of a written statement to the Department Chair according to department procedures and as a comment on the course report form submitted to the Registrar at the end of each term.
  1. I Grade Limits

Graduate Students

A graduate student with I grades on their graduate record at Berkeley that exceed the maximum established by the Graduate Council may proceed toward a degree only at the discretion of the Dean of the Graduate Division.

Undergraduate Students

Any undergraduate student with 12 or more units of I on their record may not register unless permission to do so is granted by the Dean of the College, School, or Division in which the student is enrolled.