A207. Grade Appeals

(Am. 4.84, 4.88, 4.27.06, 4.22.10)
  1. Appeal Process
    • This Regulation covers grievances by students originating in units of instruction and concerning grades.
    • Grounds for grievance are application of non-academic criteria, such as considerations of race, politics, religion, sex, or other criteria not directly reflective of performance related to course requirements; sexual harassment; or improper academic procedures that unfairly affect a student’s grade.
    • The student must first attempt to resolve a grade grievance with the instructor in charge. If such an attempt is unsuccessful or if the student prefers, the student shall seek assistance from the student Ombudsperson (or a mutually accepted third party) and the department chair. If a grievance is resolved between a student and an instructor and the resolution requires a grade change, the Chair of the Department (or equivalent unit) in which the course was taught shall refer the case expeditiously to the Committee on Courses of Instruction. After reviewing the case, the Committee on Courses of Instruction may instruct the Office of the Registrar to make the required change in the student's record.
    • The following formal procedure may not be activated unless the student, instructor in charge, Ombudsperson (or any mutually accepted third party), and Department Chair have failed to resolve the dispute informally, and it has been less than one calendar year since the last day of the semester in which the final grade for the course was posted.4 Neither formal nor informal grade grievance processes may be initiated after the one-year deadline has passed. (EC.00)
    • The formal procedure is to be completed as expeditiously as possible:
      • at the unit level with twenty (20) working days;
      • at the Senate level within forty (40) working days;

if both parties are in residence and the University is in regular session (excludes Summer Session). (EC. 4.86)

  1. Appeal of Grades in Courses and Examinations
    • Each department or other instructional unit, or groups of units teaching similar disciplines, shall establish a standing Grievance Committee Chair.
    • For each case this Chair will appoint an ad hoc Grievance Committee composed of three faculty members, only two of whom can be from the same unit; and two students in good standing appointed by the student association(s) of the unit(s). When no such association exists, students shall be appointed by the ASUC or the Graduate Assembly. (Student members must have passed courses or an examination in the unit(s) at least at the level of the disputed course or examination, and have been in residence for at least one year.)
    • A student dissatisfied with the outcome of the informal discussion and petitioning for a change of grade may submit the case, in writing, to the Grievance Committee, which will obtain a written response from the instructor and will provide the parties the opportunity to present additional information orally or in writing.         
    • The Grievance Committee's recommendation to the Committee on Courses of Instruction, including minority view, if any, must be given in writing.
    • If the Committee on Courses of Instruction finds for the student, it may:
      • change a failing grade to a P or S;
      • drop a course retroactively;
      • retain the course but eliminate the grade from GPA;
      • adopt the letter grade, if any, that was recommended by four of the five members of the unit’s Grievance Committee.


4 Final grades are all grades defined in Berkeley Division Regulation A201 except I (incomplete), IP (in progress), and grades not submitted by the instructor on the end-of-term course report.