Conflict Resolution: Faculty Ombudspersons

The Faculty Ombuds role is a confidential, informal, impartial resource for faculty experiencing work-related problems and conflicts. The Faculty Ombuds assists faculty in finding non-confrontational solutions to problems involving other members of the University.

The Faculty Ombuds will listen, suggest, obtain information, and informally facilitate conversations, as appropriate, to achieve informal resolution of concerns. The Faculty Ombuds may satisfy the needs of the complainant by simply acting as a neutral sounding board and source of advice as to how that person may solve their own problem. The Faculty Ombuds does not investigate, take sides, or issue findings. They do not keep written records. They subscribe to a code of conduct assuring impartiality and confidentiality.

Prof. Emerita Angelica Stacy (formerly Associate Vice Provost for the Faculty) will be serving as the initial incumbent of this position. 

If you are a faculty member and wish to set up a confidential meeting with the Faculty Ombuds, please call 510-642-8788 to request an appointment. You can leave your phone number, and your call will normally be returned within one business day. (Please do not email Angy Stacy directly.) 

During the transitional 2021-2022 academic year, the Office for Faculty Equity & Welfare(link is external) will be providing administrative support for the Faculty Ombuds role. For more information about this service, please visit their website: Faculty Ombuds(link is external).