Conflict Resolution

The Academic Senate offers several resources to assist faculty in the resolution of conflicts on campus. Conflicts may arise over regulation, policy or procedural interpretations, interpersonal disagreements, or academic differences. Senate members provide support for other faculty experiencing conflict, from confidential consultation and informal mediation, to case preparation and formal hearing.

The Faculty Ombudspersons exist to assist faculty and academic personnel in finding non-confrontational solutions to problems involving other members of the University. It is possible to talk confidentially about your problem with any member of the committee and see if an informal resolution might be possible. Contact the chair or any member of the Faculty Ombudspersons or call the Faculty Ombudsperson line (510-642-7213) for a referral. For more details on the ombuds process, see the description of the Faculty Ombudspersons.

The Panel of Counselors are available to advise faculty on further avenues for resolution of their problem, if an informal resolution does not seem likely. They are knowledgeable about faculty rights and privilege and can offer advice on the preparation and management of cases within the jurisdiction of the Committee on Privilege and Tenure. A counselor may also act as a mediator. Contact the chair of the Panel or call the Senate Executive Director (510-642-7213) for a referral.

The Committee on Privilege and Tenure provides the most formal level of conflict resolution. The committee hears complaints from officers of instruction regarding various matters of academic privilege, appointment, tenure, and promotion. The hearing process is outlined in the Manual of the Academic Senate, Bylaw 335. The process is initiated by submitting a complaint in writing to the chair of the committee. A member of the Panel of Counselors can assist in the preparation of the complaint. Faculty members should consult the Faculty Ombudspersons and the Panel of Counselors before submitting a complaint to the Committee on Privilege and Tenure.

Other Resources

For more information, contact the Academic Senate Executive Director, Jocelyn Surla Banaria, (510) 642-7213.