Guidelines for Approval of Intercampus Courses Originating Elsewhere than Berkeley


A. The course must be approved by the Academic Senate of the originating campus.

B. The chair of the sponsoring Berkeley academic unit must approve the offering of the course.

C. The course must be taught under an appropriate rubric at Berkeley. If no appropriate rubric exists (such as an existing course that has already been approved by Berkeley’s Committee on Courses of Instruction), approval of a new course must be sought from COCI using the normal course approval process.

Instructor of Record

A. There must be an instructor of record at the originating campus, approved by the chair of the sponsoring Berkeley academic unit. The instructor of record is responsible for the following:

  • Organizing and teaching the course;
  • Providing an easy and efficient means of communicating with students (usually email) as well as sending and receiving assignments; and
  • Grading work, assigning grades, and dealing with the removal of any incomplete grades assigned.

 B. There must be an adjunct instructor of record at Berkeley, approved by the chair of the Berkeley academic unit involved, who will:

  • Deal with any academic or administrative problems that arise on the Berkeley campus such as add/drops, petitions for incompletes (to be forwarded to the instructor of record), authorizing absences, hearing appeals for grade changes, etc.
  • Be a member of the Berkeley Division (i.e., not a contract lecturer or other temporary appointment) unless COCI authorizes an exception.
  • Confirm the course roster at the beginning of the term, making sure that mid-term status reports and final grade sheets are turned in.
  • Be available for consultation during the semester to assist Berkeley students.
  • Remain in perpetuity responsible for problems that may arise after the course has ended, acting in loco professoris for the instructor of record.
  • Notify the Office of the Registrar of whose name should appear on all official publications such as the Schedule of Classes and electronic grading reports while the course is being offered.

C. During the term, the adjunct instructor of record may hire a GSI or appropriate individual to assist with administrative matters related to the course. In no instance, however, can the GSI serve as the adjunct instructor of record, given the temporary nature of the appointment.

Units of Credit

A. When the originating campus is on a quarter system, credits are offered at the strict conversion rate (e.g., 4.0 quarter units = 2.67 semester units).

B. Additional work may be assigned by the instructor of record who is teaching the course on a campus using the quarter system to bring the course offered up to its semester equivalent. For example, work in addition to that required for 4.0 quarter units may be assigned to bring the equivalent units to 4.0 semester units. This work must represent five weeks of additional work; i.e., Berkeley students must do 50% more work than the students taking the course for 4.0 quarter units.

C. Whenever: 1) previously-approved Berkeley course names and numbers are used, and 2) the course will be taught by an instructor on a campus using the quarter system, the Berkeley adjunct instructor of record must work with the instructor of record at the offering campus to ensure that the course contains sufficient materials to assign the same semester units that appeared in the course that has been approved by COCI. If not, unit adjustments must be made and a new course approval form must be submitted to COCI, reducing the number of units to be awarded to Berkeley students.

D. The additional work must be graded by the instructor of record at the originating campus.

E. The additional work will not normally require Berkeley students to do academic work outside the normal dates of semester instruction (e.g., during the spring quarter weeks which fall outside the spring semester dates). However, such work may be mandated if students are informed of the requirement in the course description and in all publicity for the course.

Final Examinations

A final examination must be arranged which meets the Berkeley Academic Senate guidelines on final examinations.

Administrative Support

The sponsoring department at Berkeley must designate a person (perhaps the undergraduate assistant) who will provide administrative support to Berkeley students and other departments as needed.

Senior Residence

Although taught by an instructor elsewhere, intercampus courses have been approved by the Berkeley Academic Senate for credit on the Berkeley campus and, therefore, may be used as appropriate to meet any University, School/College, and departmental graduation requirements.