An instructor may assign a grade of Incomplete if the student’s work in a course has been of passing quality but is incomplete due to circumstances beyond the student’s control.
Replacement of I Grades by Undergraduate Students
1. Deadline for replacement of I grades by undergraduate students:
Fall Semester: deadline is the first day of instruction in the following fall semester.
Spring Semester and Summer Session: deadline is the first day of instruction in the following spring semester.
2. To record a final grade for a course in which an I grade was originally assigned:
- Summer 2016 and prior, the student must complete the required work and file a Petition for Grade and Grade Points in an Incomplete Course with the instructor by the appropriate deadline.
- Fall 2016 and after, the student must complete the required work by the appropriate deadline and the instructor will change grades for Incompletes through CalCentral and Campus Solutions.
3. Students should not formally enroll in the course to complete the remaining work. If a student formally repeats the course, the original I grade will convert automatically to a grade of F (or NP, if the course was taken on a P/NP basis), and the student may repeat the course subject to the conditions for repetition of courses.
4. Students should make arrangements with the instructor (or the department chair if the instructor is unavailable) for the completion of the required course work at least 30 days prior to the deadline for replacement of the I grade. To avoid problems in revising I grades, however, it is wise to complete the required work and file the petition as soon as possible.
5. Students may choose to retain (“freeze”) an I grade permanently on their record by the same deadlines mentioned above. Once an I grade is so retained, the student may not enroll in the course again at UC Berkeley and may not unfreeze the I grade. Students may freeze a maximum of two I grades (whatever the unit value of the course). To freeze an I grade students must submit a “Petition to Retain an Incomplete Grade Permanently on the Record” to their college or school office by the appropriate deadline.
6. If a student does not complete or freeze an I grade by the appropriate deadline, the Office of the Registrar will convert the I grade to an F or NP. From that point on, the grade, if F, is counted in computing the student’s grade point average in the same manner as any other assigned F. Once an I grade has converted to an F or NP, the student may repeat the course subject to the conditions for repetition of courses.
7. If a student graduates before the deadline for replacement of an I grade, it will never be replaced by an F or NP. The student has the option, however, of revising the I grade by the deadline.