3.3.7 Regulations of the Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate Related to Grades

A201. Grades
A.  Grading
Under limitations specified in Regulations A202, A203, A204, and A205, work of students on the Berkeley Campus is reported in terms of the following grades:

A (excellent)                          P (passed at minimum level of C-)*

B (good)                                 NP (not passed)*

C (fair)                                    S (satisfactory or passed at minimum level of B-)

D (barely passed)                U (unsatisfactory)

F (failure)                               I (work incomplete, due to circumstances beyond the student’s control, but of passing quality)                                        
                                                IP (work in progress; final grade to be assigned upon completion of entire course sequence).

Grades A, B, C, and D may be modified by Plus (+) or Minus (-) suffixes.

Credit toward Degree Requirements 

  • A course in which the grade A, B, C, D, or P is received is counted toward degree requirements.
  • A course in which the grade F or NP is received is not counted toward degree requirements.
  • Grades of I or IP are not counted until such time as they are replaced by grades A, B, C, D, or P. (Rev. 3.83)


  • A course in which the grade A, B, C or S is received is counted toward degree requirements.
  • A course in which the grade D, F, or U is received is not counted toward degree requirements.
  • Grades of I or IP are not counted until such time as they are replaced by grades A, B, C, or S. (En. 3.83)

B.   Grade Points

  • Grade points per unit are assigned by the Registrar as follows: A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, and F = 0; these are used in determining a student’s grade-point average.
  • When attached to the grades A, B, C, or D, plus (+) grades carry three-tenths of a grade point more per unit, and minus (-) grades, three-tenths of a grade point less per unit than unsuffixed grades, with the following exception:
  • The grade A+ carries 4 grade points per unit, the same as for an unsuffixed A; the grade A itself recognizes outstanding performance, but when A+ is reported, it represents extraordinary achievement.
  • The grades P, S, NP, U, I, and IP carry no grade points and the units in courses so graded are excluded in determination of the grade-point average.

C. Grade Changes

  • All grades except I and IP are considered final when submitted by an instructor on the end-of-term course report.
  • No grade may be changed, therefore, except within the time limits and under the conditions specified in Regulation A207.
  • No final term grade, except I, may be revised as a result of re-examination or submission of additional work after the close of the term, subject to the provisions of Regulation A202.

D.  Course Repetitions
Repetition of courses not authorized by the Committee on Courses of Instruction to be taken more than once for credit is subject to the following conditions:

1.   A student may repeat only those courses in which a grade of D+, D, D-, F, NP, or U was received, except as provided in SR 636, and an I may be repeated subject to Regulation A202 (Rev.3.83).

  • Courses in which a grade of D+, D, D-, or F has been received, and courses undertaken for a letter grade in which a grade of I has been received, may not be repeated on a P/NP or S/U basis.

2.   Repetition of a course more than once requires in all instances approval of the dean of the college, school, or division in which the student is enrolled at the time the course is repeated. Without this approval, a course repeated more than once will not be included in the grade-point average, but a passing grade in the repeated course will be accepted in satisfaction of unit requirements for the degree, subject to section D.3 below.

3.   Degree credit for a course will be given only once, but the grade assigned at each enrollment is permanently recorded except under the provisions of Regulation A202.

4.   In computing the grade-point average of a student who repeats courses in which a grade of D+, D, D-, or F was received, the units are counted only once and only the most recently earned grades and grade points are used for the first twelve units repeated. (Rev. 3.83)

  • Second repetitions, which are approved by the dean of a student’s college or school, thus putting the courses into the grade-point average, are to be included in the 12-unit limitations. (Rev. 3.83)
  • In case of repetitions beyond the 12 units, the grade-point average is based on all grades assigned and total units attempted. (Rev. 3.83)
  • If, however, a grade of I is awarded upon repetition of a course, the grade D+, D, D-, or F will continue to be computed in the grade-point average until the I grade is replaced.

E.  Unit Conversion
Unit credit earned by students on any campus of the University of California while that campus is on a quarter calendar will be equivalent to credit earned on the Berkeley campus as follows: each quarter unit is equivalent to two-thirds of a semester unit.

A202. Replacement of I Grades

  1. Procedures
    1. Graduate Students
      For graduate students, the method of replacement of the grade I by a final grade will be determined by the Dean of the Graduate Division and the Graduate Council.
    2.   Undergraduate Students
      1. On completion of the required work or a deferred examination or both, as specified by the instructor or an authorized delegate, grade points will be assigned if the student receives a grade of A, B, C, or D as certified by the instructor. These grades may be modified by plus (+) or minus (-) in accordance with Regulation A201.B.
      2. On repetition of the course, grade points will be granted only with the approval of the Dean of the student’s College, School, or Division. If the course is repeated without approval by the Dean, the I grade will be converted to a Grade of F and the repeated course will be treated as per Regulation A201.D.
  2. Deadline for Replacing I Grades
  • Except as noted below in sections B.1 and B.2, grades received by undergraduates may be replaced only during the following periods:

Session in which the I Grade is received

Deadline for replacement of the I Grade

Fall Semester

First day of instruction in following Fall Semester

Spring Semester or Summer Session

First day of instruction in following Spring Semester

  • Any I grade which has not been replaced by the deadline will be converted by the Office of the Registrar to the grade F (or NP if the course was taken Passed or Not Passed). Thenceforward, but not retroactively, the grade, if F, is counted in computing the student’s grade-point average in the same manner as any other assigned F.
  • The Dean of the student’s College, School, or Division will have discretionary authority to extend these deadlines.  (Rev. 3.83)
  1. An undergraduate student may, within the above deadlines, notify in writing the Dean of the College, School, or Division in which the student is enrolled at that time, that he or she has not attempted completion and will not complete the work required for removal of the I grade, and request that the I grade not be replaced by an F or NP. The Dean will forward such notification to the Office of the Registrar and that Office will not replace the grade I by an F or NP. This notification procedure is limited to no more than two courses and the decision is irrevocable. (Rev. 3.83)
  2. If a degree is conferred before the end of the above deadlines following the assignment of an I grade, the grade will not be converted to an F or NP. However, the student still has the option to remove the I grade within the above deadlines. (Rev. 3.83)

C. I Grade Criteria

Any instructor awarding an I grade must, at the same time, formally specify the:

  • reason for awarding the I grade;
  • nature of the work to be completed (term paper, hour exam, or other);
  • percentage of the grade to be based thereon; and
  • grade earned up to that point.

Specification will be made in the form of a written statement to the department chair and as a comment on the course report form submitted to the Registrar at the end of each term.

D.  I Grade Limits

Graduate Students

A graduate student with an I grade on his or her graduate record at Berkeley may proceed toward a degree only at the discretion of the Dean of the Graduate Division.

Any undergraduate student with 12 or more units of I on his or her record may not register unless permission to do so is granted by the Dean of the College, School, or Division in which the student is enrolled.

A203. In Progress Grades (IP)

  • For a course extending for more than one term, where evaluation of the student’s performance is deferred until the end of the final term, provisional grades of IP (In Progress) are assigned in the intervening terms.
  • Provisional grades are replaced by the final grade if the student completes the full sequence. In the event that the full sequence is not completed as scheduled, the Registrar shall replace the grade IP by the grade I when the instructor has no basis for assigning a grade for the term(s) completed. Further changes in the student’s record will be subject to the conditions of Regulation A202.

A204. Passed/Not Passed, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grades

Subject to the following limitations and to any additional regulations which may be adopted by the Faculties of the various Schools and Colleges and the Graduate Council:

  • Undergraduates in good academic standing may elect to undertake letter-graded courses on a Passed or Not Passed basis; and
  • Graduate students in good academic standing may elect to undertake letter-graded courses on a Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory basis.

A. Students enrolled in degree programs may receive credit for courses graded Passed or Satisfactory to a limit of one-third of the total units undertaken and passed on the Berkeley Campus at the time the degree is awarded.

  • Units completed in an Education Abroad Program, on another University of California campus by an undergraduate in an intercampus visitor program, or by a graduate in an intercampus exchange or joint doctoral program are considered Berkeley work for the purpose of this Regulation.
  • For graduate degree programs, grades of Satisfactory assigned in courses numbered 299 and courses in 300, 400, or 600 series are excluded in the computation.

B. Courses which are required in, or are prerequisite to, the student’s major may be taken Passed or Not Passed or Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory only upon approval of the Faculty of the student’s School or College,

  • Courses which are required in a graduate student’s major subject are determined by the student’s adviser.

C. Special or limited-status students may take courses on a Passed or Not Passed basis at the discretion of the Dean of the School or College in which they are enrolled.

D. Further exception to this Regulation may be made only with the approval of the Committee on Courses of Instruction of the Berkeley Division.

A205. Course Graded Passed/Not Passed or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory

Departments may offer, subject to limitations in sections A and B below:

  • Undergraduate courses which are to be added exclusively Passed or Not Passed;
  • And with approval of the Graduate Council, graduate courses which are to be graded exclusively Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory and courses in the 300 and 400 series in either manner.

A. An instructor may be in charge of no more than one such undergraduate course in any term, exclusive of individual study or research courses, except with the consent of the Dean of the School or College in which the course is offered.

B. Students enrolling in such courses are subject to limitations specified in Regulation A204.

A207. Grade Appeals

A. Appeal Process (Am. 4.22.10)

  • This Regulation covers grievances by students originating in units of instruction and concerning grades.
  • Grounds for grievance are application of non-academic criteria, such as considerations of race, politics, religion, sex, or other criteria not directly reflective of performance related to course requirements; sexual harassment; or improper academic procedures that unfairly affect a student’s grade.
  • The student must first attempt to resolve a grade grievance with the instructor in charge. If such an attempt is unsuccessful or if the student prefers, the student shall seek assistance from the student Ombudsperson (or a mutually accepted third party) and the department chair. If a grievance is resolved between a student and an instructor and the resolution requires a grade change, the Chair of the Department (or equivalent unit) in which the course was taught shall refer the case expeditiously to the Committee on Courses of Instruction. After reviewing the case, the Committee on Courses of Instruction may instruct the Office of the Registrar to make the required change in the student's record.
  • The following formal procedure may not be activated unless the student, instructor in charge, Ombudsperson (or any mutually accepted third party), and Department Chair have failed to resolve the dispute informally, and it has been less than one calendar year since the last day of the semester in which the final grade for the course is posted13. Neither formal nor informal grade grievance processes may be initiated after the one-year deadline has passed. (EC.00)
  • The formal procedure is to be completed as expeditiously as possible:
    • at the unit level within twenty (20) working days;
    • at the Senate level within forty (40) working days;

            if both parties are in residence and the University is in regular session (excludes Summer Session). (EC. 4.86)

B.  Appeal of Grades in Courses and Examinations

  • Each department or other instructional unit, or groups of units teaching similar disciplines shall establish a standing Grievance Committee Chair.
  • For each case this Chair will appoint an ad hoc Grievance Committee composed of three faculty members only two of whom can be from the same unit; and two students in good standing appointed by the student association(s) of the unit(s). When no such association exists, students shall be appointed by the ASUC or the Graduate Assembly. (Student members must have passed courses or an examination in the unit(s) at least at the level of the disputed course or examination, and have been in residence for at least one year.)
  • A student dissatisfied with the outcome of the informal discussion and petitioning for a change of grade may submit the case, in writing, to the Grievance Committee, which will obtain a written response from the instructor and will provide the parties the opportunity to present additional information orally or in writing.
  • The Grievance Committee’s recommendation to the Committee on Courses of Instruction, including minority view, if any, must be given in writing.
  • If the Committee on Courses of Instruction finds for the student, it may:
    • change a failing grade to a P or S;
    • drop a course retroactively;
    • retain the course but eliminate the grade from GPA;
    • adopt the letter grade, if any, that was recommended by four of the five members of the unit’s Grievance Committee.


13 Final grades are all grades defined in Berkeley Regulation A201 except I (incomplete), IP (in progress), and grades not submitted by the instructor on the end-of-term course report.